Blog as per update on p.forum:I went back to the hospital and had my scan to establish whether or not the blood clot had 'dissolved'/'decreased'.. etc etc and so they were taking measurements off a scan 2 weeks from the last one.
The clot has seemingly gone down a little, but when they say it has gone down a little, they really mean a little.. like barely. One of the measurements has shrunk, but another has increased - so it hasn't gone down, it's just changed shape (maths geek). Either way, they've said that monitoring on scans isn't actually going to help, or achieve anything further. There's nothing that can be done about it at all.
I asked for a bit more information, I mean, what am I supposed to do just walk around with this blood clot that could just bleed out at any given time, or what if it stays the same and what complications will that cause at the birth etc etc.
Basically, the clot is going to get smaller in one of 2 ways.
1. It will continue to shrink (very slowly) and throughout the pregnancy I will have spotting, and the rest hopefully gradually dissolve back into my bloodstream. They will rely on me to feedback on heartbeat and movement of the baby, and if I haven't felt anything by 24, 25 weeks, they will have to monitor me and find out what can be done and if the baby is ok or not.
2. I will have a heavy bleed, and the clot will shrink in one go taking the baby with it. This will either result in a complete miscarriage, or a premature birth. I don't know at how many weeks it will be ok, or what would cause it to die and not be born alive.. I'm guessing they don't want me to ask those questions and so I didn't.
They think that obviously option 1 is the more likely, but that 'it could go one way or the other'.
My mum was more optimistic than I was, but hey. We'll see how things go. I'm not on bi weekly scans now though, there's not a lot of use as there isn't anything that can be done to help, so my next scan is the 20 week anomaly/gender scan on Monday April 2nd - luckily this falls within mine and Shauns time off work, so Shaun can actually come to this one as usually for him Mondays are a fail.
x

No comments:
Post a Comment