Monday, 27 February 2012

14w4d - George Eliot hospital, Nuneaton

I shall copy and paste the big post I made on the pregnancy forum - it's a long story and the post I've already written sums it up :)

****************************************************************

Hi ladies
Well yesterday a lady from work who's also Rhesus Negative asked me why I hadn't had an anti-d considering I have had a big bleed 2 weeks ago and spotting ever since. The doctor originally told me I didn't need one and I was so worried about miscarriage etc and booking a scan that I put it to the back of my mind. She was right though and I don't know why it hadn't occured beforehand, so I made a pact to call the hospital today and find out for sure if I needed an anti-d or not. I can't exactly relax, or tell anybody, not knowing what's wrong inside.
As if by chance, I woke at 845am today and was bright and alert and thought, right, must ring the hospital. The first lady I spoke to was saying I needed to wait until 28weeks. So I thought well that was what the doctor said. So I rang someone else, lol. The second lady asked my name, dug out my notes and called me back. She was shocked at what the hell had been going on with my notes, that I hadn't had a Anti-D, that nobody had contacted me for a repeat scan, that they had ballsed up the nuchal testing etc. So she said yes please could I go in. I got a taxi to the train station and rung Shauns mum to ask her to pick up Ryan from school if I was late back and as soon as she had a glimpse that I was going to hospital, she came and drove me instead of me getting trains and buses by myself. Turns out it was a good job she did take me as I was there about 3.5 hours.
I had 4 blood tubes taken, one to establish how much anti-d I needed, and 3 others for the quad test - which is apparently the second trimester downs testing as they had ballsed up my chance to do it at the 12 week scan.
Then I had my anti-d.. she gave me the maximum I could need and said it wouldn't do any harm, and the same lady was with me the whole time I was there. She's explained that a few people didn't follow procedures and I was the 'unlucky one that slipped through the net'. As soon as I had called this morning, there had been a meeting regarding the 12week scan sonographers short cut on me which the sonographer wasn't trained to know that she was doing anything wrong, and initially we thought we were saving time, but also missed a lot of stuff that she wasn't qualified to advise on. I also didn't have a proper 'booking' appointment because the lady I saw after my scan turned out to be a gynaelogical nurse, not a midwife, and she again missed a lot of stuff out.
I asked if everything would be ok, with me not having an anti-d for over 2 weeks after a huge bleed and she said it was still enough time for it to be caught if any bloods had mixed, but I wasn't convinced. Before I had a chance to ask her if I could hear a heartbeat for reassurance, she offered me a scan. We only had to wait 15mins and in that time she told us to go fetch a sandwich or something since we had been there a while

Really clear picture I think they felt bad for me as the hospital/GP has obviously really screwed up somewhere and as such I was totally in limbo how safe the baby was, and hence haven't been excited or anything, assuming I would eventually have a miscarriage or 'birth defects' as the doctor nicely put it.
At the top right is my 'bleed' - looks like a dark bag. Well that's a blood clot and is apparently the reason for my 'old blood' spotting. Apparently most of it dissolves into the bloodstream and the body deals with it, but some of it will be the spotting I've been having. God, imagine how big that must have been about 2 weeks ago The sonographer completely missed it. No wonder the scan was so uncomfortable. I have to go back for another scan in 2 weeks, and then if the blood clot is smaller I won't have to go back until 20week scan like normal. I don't know what happens if the blood clot doesn't get smaller.
So yay for getting 4 scans. But booo for being so abnormal. I feel more relieved though thank god, and that someone is listening to me at last, so if anything goes bad from now on I've got someone to call and I'll be looked after.

No comments:

Post a Comment